28 November 2009

religious zealot

I was recently labeled a "religious zealot" by someone who, although they had never met me, did not seem fond of me (per a preconceived bias against Scorpios, and a problem with strong women in positions of authority). Like my existence was seemingly somehow unfair to her, as if I posed a challenge or threat to her comfort zone. At first I was taken aback by the comment and her attitude, and immediately told my mom about it, who is partly responsible for my Christian upbringing and unwavering faith in God. I asked, "can you believe she called me that?" and my mom answered "well, you ARE". I sat and mulled that one over all night, while poking around on my laptop and watching Christian satellite TV programming. I have recently become re-connected with these enlightening channels, and have resumed watching the very interesting international programming which is often shown. You could say I took a hiatus from my ritualistic absorption, with the baseball playoffs occupying my screen, and several recent trips out of town, the TV did not get my full attention.

The other night I watched a program called the Jesus Boat Revealed, which was an archaeological/historical commentary on the Galilee region (present day Tiberias) and relevant artifacts found there. While Jesus' ministry was focused throughout northern Israel, he spent a fair amount of time around the Sea of Galilee, including the famous "walking on water" episode. This boat, which was discovered in recent years, is commemorated in a museum/store just off the shore of the Sea of Galilee. While I visited this store during one of my trips to Tiberias, it was interesting to watch the historical commentary regarding this relic, by many credible researchers and ministers alike. This film in part helped re-ignite my fire for all things religious and historical. If you want to talk about religious persecution, Jesus was the Prime Mover. Religious zealot? If so, I copy. No time to be lukewarm, or the God of Israel will spew you out of his mouth. Do you think Jesus knew he would die at the age of 33?

Immediately following that program was a movie called Kabul 24. It was an account of 8 Westerners who were kidnapped and detained by Al Qaeda in Afghanistan in 2001, just prior to the terror attacks of 911. All 8 were accused of trying to convert Muslims to Christianity. The Taliban had them in a type of prison. At one point an English Journalist got thrown in there with them, for donning a burka and venturing into one of the Afghan cities. When interviewed about her observations in the prison, she stated "I've got religious fanatics on one side, and religious fanatics on the other side." She was released soon thereafter for her "unruly attitude". They probably would have kicked me out too, I would have asked "where is the salad bar?" The prisoners were tortured, and later forced to ask their governments for money as an exchange for their release. They were ultimately released shortly after 911, a point in time which these prisoners did not experience the same collective feeling that the rest of the world did.

At a Thanksgiving function yesterday, I got into a deep discussion about Judaism with my step-brother in law. I really don't remember how it came up, but I mentioned I went to a few Jewish Synagogues while living in Israel. Keep in mind that I am of Jewish descent, but am a Christian by faith. I was able to come and go freely while in Israel because of a student visa, and American citizenship. Not all inhabitants of the Holy Land have it that easy. Anyway, I shared with him that the men and the women are separated by a temporary wall or partition during the Jewish services. Same is true when visiting the Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem, women must enter to the right and cover their heads in reverence. Again regardless of your religious beliefs, everyone must follow the rules - when in Israel, do as the Jews do! Later my mom came up and contributed to the conversation by reminiscing about the bustling Ben Yehuda Street in Jerusalem at the end of Shabbat. We found ourselves there one Saturday night after a Messianic Jewish church service in a building nearby. She mentioned the groups of Chinese Christians singing and playing music, and that although Christian, we are referred to as "Believers" in Israel, to distinguish us from the Catholics and other Christian sects.

I think I like this new title, I can get used to it! But my blog about me the "religious zealot" would not be complete without honorable mention of my Palestinian refugee Muslim boyfriend (who I met in Berlin). A week or so ago, I spoke with a man claiming to be Palestinian, hailing from the island of Cyprus (ok dude, you are mistakenly Greek, not Palestinian). I had approached him and asked "is that a Palestinian scarf?" referring to a distinctly patterned cloth draped around his neck. He asked me "how do you know about that?" I answered "uh, because I had a Palestinian boyfriend?" He became mesmerized by me. I admitted that I had lived in Israel/Palestine for about a year and had earned a Master's Degree in Middle Eastern Studies - a truly life-changing experience. He then asked me, "what do you think about the Israeli-Palestinian issue?" I was like "are you serious? do you realize what a loaded topic that is? how much time do you have?" His time was limited, and although he was interested what I had to say, he concluded "I don't think we're on the same page". This inclination may have been partly due to my admission of being 1/4 Jewish. I told him if these people had roofs over their heads, he didn't really need to worry about it, personally!

There is a difference between being a "religious zealot" and holding a Master's Degree in Middle Eastern Studies from an Israeli University, and a Bachelor's Degree from a Christian/Nazarene College. Errr, or is there? You decide. I may have studied Islam, but I do not typically wear a hijab as the Muslim women do. I may have lived in Israel, but I do not speak fluent Hebrew as the modern Jews do. I may have bought a rosary while in Brazil, but I do not say the Hail Marys as Catholics do. I may have spent time in Greece, but that does not make me Orthodox. I may practice Yoga, but I do not bow to the Hindu deities. And I may be a Believer, but I will not be persecuted for my Faith. Call me what you will, but knowledge is power, and the Power of God is behind me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home