01 December 2006

research and russians

In the past week, I have been consumed by my research, and of course my study of the Arabic language. Currently, I am writing a paper for my Ottoman history class on the early influences of Islamic Architecture, namely the Umayyad period (one of the early ruling dynasties of the Ottoman era). In addition, I have been researching Al Jazeera as the new leading news source of global focus, with of course a slight Arab bias. Included in this research is integration of its 24/7 video stream of internet news broadcast. See issues of importance in my previous blog, in addition to key elections coming up, and political relations. My actual research is on the incorporation of media technology by this powerful organization, to reach the world, now in English. check it out at http://english.aljazeera.net.

On the local level, living in Beer Sheva suggests its own version of international relations. Once you leave the University (and even most of the time on campus), it is a crazy mix of culture. Here of course we have Israelis, Arabs, Muslims, a smattering of international students (like myself), and in the city of Beer Sheva a large Russian immigrant population in addition to the Bedoins (Arab nomads) I've mentioned in previous posts. The Russians are everywhere. They have stores on every corner, which fortunately are open on Shabbat when the Jewish stores are not, for those slightly higher-priced emergency needs. Many of the signs and local publications are also in Russian (in addition to Hebrew and Arabic). The problem I have with them is that they speak Hebrew with a Russian accent which makes it hard to reinforce ANYTHING I've learned about Hebrew.

I'm off to Jerusalem for the next few days, to take a break from Beer Sheva life, but certainly NOT a break from studying. I find it is the best place to study Arabic culture, particularly in light of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Jerusalem, the "Holy City"... soon to be known throughout the world as the "International Capital" as per the UN (a friendly reminder to keep your nose in the newspaper).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home