22 November 2006

learning languages

Many people (back in the US) have been asking me how my Hebrew and Arabic are coming along. When you consider I have only been studying these languages for about 2 months, and that I am learning them simultaneously, I think Im doing ok. While both are VERY different from English and each use a truly unique character set, there are more similarities between Hebrew and Arabic than between English and Hebrew, or English and Arabic (which makes it easier to study both simultaneously).

My Hebrew class is the "Alif" or beginner level. However I came into the class about a month later than the other students (who were here for the Ulpan) so I am really overwhelmed. My Arabic class is also beginner, but I started at the beginning, and have been learning at a more basic level (reinforcing what I learned in my Arabic class in San Diego before I left). Now we are learning basic vocabulary to complement the characters and sounds. Soon I hope to return to the shuk to make basic conversation with the Bedoins, or to the Old City of Jerusalem where everyone speaks Arabic. Hebrew on the other hand is ALL around me, and while about 70% of the people here speak some English, it is important for me to learn Hebrew for practical purposes while I am living here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home