13 November 2006

my eilat

this past weekend, I went on an organized group trip to Eilat, the southernmost "resort" city in Israel. I visited Eilat as a tourist this past summer as well (I'm sure most of you remember the pictures and blogs - still available via lisabirman.com) and it is one of my favorite places to chill out. Eilat is on the coast of the Red Sea, and borders Jordan and Egypt, which you can see easily from there, as well as Saudi Arabia, just beyond Jordan. The weather was nice and the Red Sea was beautiful as ever.

On our way to Eilat we embarked on a 6 hour "hike" through Mt. Schlomo and Adom mountains. I hike quite regularly in the mountains of Arizona, and as Israel has the same latitude as Arizona, the region bears many similarities. This was perhaps the most beautiful hike I had ever been on, and at times felt like I was in the Grand Canyon (another such beautiful rock formation). We had perfect weather, and although my Pumas got thrashed, it was an amazing "mountaintop" experience!

when i got back from Eilat, not only was I well rested, but I also heard the great news that the Gay Pride Parade scheduled to happen in Jerusalem had been "cancelled" to a degree. It was moved inside a small decentralized venue, as to avoid the very conflict it sought to create-- a blasphemous degradation on the Holy City. Thank you Christians, Jews, and Muslims for your prayers!!! May peace prevail in all of ISRAEL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home