15 January 2007

all about the ottoman

my friend Alan and I have an abbreviation for this...AAO (all about the Ottoman), a self-constructed ideology stemming from themes discussed in our Ottoman History class. As I am not much of a history person myself, I am learning about many aspects of history not only through my classes but through daily life. The acronym was created as a result of the many themes emerging from the Ottoman Empire into today. For example, I mentioned in a previous blog that I had met a man from Turkey at the conference last week, and learned a lot about their culture from my interaction with him. Likewise, there are many parallels between the history of Turkey and other surrounding countries, and interrelated themes therein.

Today was the last day of my Ottoman History class, from which I gained a great deal. I had to give a presentation about education in the Ottoman Empire, a summary and commentary of a chapter from a book I read, entitled "Imperial Classroom: Islam, the State, and Education in the Late Ottoman Empire" by Benjamin Fortna. I was engaged by this reading, as much of my own professional experience has been within the field of education. The chapter incorporated themes of Modernity (one of our other classes) and Nationalism (a theme of that same Modernity class), in comparing Ottoman traditional Islamic influences in education to education of the West. The presentation went well, though a bit long winded which I often am. ;p

My professor also announced a new course he will be teaching IN TURKEY this summer! This is the same professor who took us on an academic/historical tour of Jerusalem. It is a four week course, and though I do not necessarily need it for credit, I believe it would be a nice opportunity for me to learn more about the culture. Now I have a friend/professional contact in Turkey in addition to my old boss doing his sabbatical over there this year, so all the more reason to check it out. Similarly, I will be going to Jordan for a study tour of that region in early February, after I come back from the US.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home