31 December 2006

happy new year!

just like Christmas, New Year's is just another regular day here in Israel. I imagine some of my local friends were celebrating, but I have been spending a great deal of time on my research, not to mention an intensive study of the Arabic language. Needless to say, no partying for me this year - I must be getting old! I did however spend some time reflecting back on this year (what a wonderful life-changing year it was) and what I did last year for New Year's Eve. There was a really big party in Balboa Park called Dragon Ball, which featured most of my friends either as musicians, dancers, or DJs. I dont remember if I didn't go because I knew I'd know everybody (that is not always a good thing), because it was a big hoopla which costed $$$, or because it was raining and the event was held outdoors. But I had a great quiet evening at home, and I played my bass guitar to Theivery Corporation (they have great bass lines) for a couple hours. I think the most amazing New Year's Eve I had was in 2002 when I was in Rio de Janeiro, on the beach of Copacabana. Muito BELEZA! That is a MUST within one's lifetime. Next year I hope to be in Times Square, as I have always seen it on TV and wished I could attend.

Speaking of New York, I have been giving considerable thought to what I want to do after I finish this my second Master's Degree, here in Israel. I applied to 3 different universities for my PhD, one of which is Rutgers, in New Jersey just across the river from Manhattan. hopefully I should find out within the next few months. ASU lost my GRE scores, and USC seems to be experiencing difficulty receiving one of my supplemental applications electronically. Besides they want $85 for the application fee, which doesn't even guarantee my admission. Not that Im choosing Rutgers by process of elimination, mind you. But since I left San Diego, my home of 13 years, I am somewhat homeless. I mean my family is in AZ and I live in Israel right now, but the future is wide open. The world is my oyster. United Nations? That's in NY too :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home