18 December 2006

american in israel

My best friend from San Diego, Suzanne, came to Israel to visit me for 6 days. After chillin with the Bedoins in Beer Sheva, we took a little weekend trip to Jerusalem, the Holy Land. We stayed at the famous historical New Imperial Hotel inside Jaffa Gate. As I've mentioned before in this blog, Jerusalem is the "heart" of religious focus for many different faiths (Jewish, Muslim, Christian, and offshoots of each). It is also a very culturally diverse region of the middle east, as many people have immigrated here. Not to mention the political aspects of the diversity, which are inextricably linked with both religion and culture. So much to study, so little time.

Though we spent significant time behaving as American tourists, this weekend was an incredible learning experience for both of us. Suzanne had not been exposed to much of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict or history, and she received an extensive history, geography, religion and cultural lesson (both in my "tour guide" lectures as well as our first-hand exposure to various aspects of this). She said her favorite part was after being chased down by the cab driver (from a few weeks ago's blog, who somehow found me walking the streets of Jerusalem, and demanded 40 shekels -- yes the amount I "owe" him keeps changing)... we found ourselves "guided" by a wonderful Jewish woman, into this ultra-orthodox Jewish neighborhood. Everything was totally serene and quiet, the streets were filled with Jews walking towards the Kotel, for their Shabat/ Hanukkah celebrations. We were not permitted to use our phones or cameras, though I think Suz snapped a few shots, the camera could not do it justice what we experienced there or at our Kotel visit to follow. I know she was impacted by this experience, and God was there with us, guiding our every step.

Other highlights of the trip included our extravagant purchases in the Old City (Christian Quarter) and interactions with every one of the vendors, especially one named Wissam, who we bought souvenir mugs and tapestries from. Another one of the vendors who we spent quite a while talking to was born again, and he even gave me a new Bible, a small KJV which I really needed as I do not have a Bible with me. My personal favorite experience of the weekend was different people's reactions to my new hat, a beanie with the words "jerusalem for us" embroidered in Arabic across the front. Controversial discussion, anyone?

Suzanne's visit served as a nice "break" from my studies, coming directly following midterms and a paper being completed. Now I'm back into the swing of things this week at school, gearing up for the next research paper for my Arab-Israeli conflict class. I also just found out the GREAT news that I was among the students selected to participate in the Study Tour to Jordan, February 11-18 2007. I am absolutely ecstatic! My travel plans to the US will inevitably change slightly, I may only go back for 2 weeks instead of 1 month (don't have my ticket yet). I'll be sure to make it for Manny's Super Bowl Party though, in which I may have the opportunity to watch the amazing Chargers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home