05 December 2006

global paradigm

Since I've been in Israel (specifically since I've been living in my own place) I've really focusing on World News and global affairs. News sources like BBC and Al Jazeera disseminate news about a variety of countries, whereas when I was living in the US I mostly heard news (or opinions of news) from the US. I also look at a lot of maps, of the cities I visit, of Israel, and of the Middle East and Europe. I think I had maps on the brain, because a few weeks ago I had this dream that everything north of here, Britain, Europe, and Russia, had somehow merged together to form one country. I told my mom about this dream, last weekend when I also shared with her my thoughts about the upcoming 2007 French Presidential election. Somehow it all fits together into this unified global paradigm that I forsee, perhaps under the leadership of the United Nations.

It's easier to focus on what's important (what's going on in the world as a whole rather than your particular city or family) when you are removed from the life that's comfortable for you. Although I still very much relate to (and miss) San Diego and Phoenix, what has become my life and focus now is vastly different and on a much larger scale than what was once my life. The other day in my Orientalism class, someone said "when you travel, you are still stuck with yourself", meaning even if you are traveling to try to "escape" something, you never escape yourself, your thoughts, beliefs, tendencies and actions. Not only are you with yourself, but now you are taking that noticably imperfect self into the realm of the unknown, which forces you to break through the comfort zone and be confident within yourself.

It's easy to blame our challenges on circumstances, and focus on some external force (its not me, its you, or the boss, job, etc). Next time you are challenged with something in your life, get on BBC.com and check out what's happening in Thailand or Bahrain. Hopefully it will give you some idea about the complexity of this world, and you might begin to discover the insignificance of your life and your localized reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home