04 December 2006

streets and alleys

In most Israeli cities that I've visited (or lived in), there is little differentiation between streets, sidewalks, and alleys. Of course the major roadways are easily distinguished the from sidewalks thereof, especially in the larger cities. When you are in a residential area or a smaller city however, cars and smaller motorized vehicles (for transportation or construction) seem to be permitted on sidewalks. I like to think of these more like alleys, although they are not anything like the alleys you know in the US, where trash is collected. Trash does not really seem to be "collected" in Beer Sheva (except for dumpsters on major streets), as there is trash scattered everywhere, similar to Mexico.

For example, a "sidewalk" on the way to my house from the University always has cars temporarily "parked" on it. It seems to be used for some kind of under-the-table car repair business, and this goes on primarily during the night hours. Another example is in the Old City of Jerusalem. Often times you will see cars driving through certain parts of the city, though the streets are very narrow. When I was here in the summer, we stood outside the Lion's gate for about 20 minutes and I videotaped, as many cars attempted to round a sharp corner and drive through the gate. Just about every car had a near miss with the wall, and came within about 3 inches of hitting it as they made the turn. My theory is that the city (its streets and labyrinth-like walls) was constructed BEFORE there were cars, but nowadays these modern machines are relied upon for transport from place to place.

Generally most sidewalks are made of brick or stone (almost a cobblestone) which makes it difficult to walk in heels. Needless to say, I only brought 2 pairs and have worn (one pair or the other) a total of 3 times. If you know me, you know I ALWAYS wear heels, so you can imagine how uncomfortable I must be. Without my car I am walking everywhere, especially where the busses don't go (and because the bus service cannot be relied upon every day, or the hours/places that you might need them). I have seen a few Honda Civics around however, and miss my car - I often wonder how much it would cost to have my car shipped to me here :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home