22 December 2006

shuk no.3

Today I went to the Friday shuk, in the downtown area of the Old City of Beer Sheva. I have blogged about the Thursday Bedoin shuk and the daily fruit and vegetable shuk in recent posts, so this is a newly discovered 3rd shuk here in town. A shuk (sometimes pronounced sook) is basically an outdoor cash-only market. There are shuks in nearly all Israeli cities. In addition to a shuk, i have mentioned that Jerusalem also has many local vendors in the Old City - more of a permanent kind of shuk, storefronts set up within the city walls.

I am undecided about going to Jerusalem for Christmas eve. One of my professors told me about a christmas eve service at the YMCA. However, I cannot afford the time as have another paper to work on. In terms of academics, I feel the need to buckle down even more than i have been, because I received an 85 on my last paper, somewhat disappointing as I busted my butt to finish it. Grrr... its a history class, which is not my forte, so I think i will have better luck with more of the current affairs type courses.

I will be posting new photo galleries soon, of the downtown shuk, jerusalem with suzanne, and my old/new apartments. You can always check the right column of this blog for the photo galleries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home