04 January 2007

strike two!

yesterday morning I was supposed to have a test in my Arabic class. But when I arrived to the campus, there were protesters at the gate, so I had to go in a different gate. Then when I finally got in and went to the building my class is in, the door was locked. There were a few people in the hallways (and it looked like a few classes going on), but the campus was generally a ghost town. There was a student strike on campus, something which had been rumored, in protest of higher tuition or some otherwise exclusively Israeli issue. I didn't think I'd be affected by it (as overseas students' tuition costs more anyway), so I attempted to go to classes as usual. Once I caught on that all the classes would be "cancelled" for the entire day, I went home and read, then fell asleep on my couch.

I slept pretty much all day, and hadn't been feeling well so I really needed to catch up on much-needed sleep. I also decided it was finally time to do my laundry, as i was just about out of socks. When I arrived to the laundry room, it appeared the washing machines had gone on strike too (strike two) because only one of them was working (out of 5 washers and 5 dryers). Needless to say I was there for a while, but had some very interesting conversations, in a few different languages.

Recently I have been trying to practice all 5 of my languages. There is a girl in my program from Argentina (also a Communication major), who I speak with in Spanish (of course I know Mexican Spanish). My Hebrew is still not very good, but it gets me around town. I am hoping to start the Ulpan next week, but I just found out it costs 1,100 USD. so I might be back to the teach-myself option. Everyone keeps saying "get an Israeli boyfriend". honestly, that would be the easiest way. But he should then speak Arabic as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home