11 September 2007

remember 911

do you remember where you were and what you were doing on Sept 11, 2001? I remember. I was living in a studio in Banker's Hill at the time, and my mom called me at like 7am to tell me this crazy news. She said someone had hijacked 2 airplanes and flown them into the world trade center twin towers, killing hundreds of people. I had never been to New York (I went the following year), so I had no idea where that was, but it sounded pretty crazy. I did not understand WHO would do such a thing, nor could I conceive of such a horrible form of murder (abortion is bad enough). How could anyone HATE AMERICA, what did WE ever do? I had no knowledge of Islam or where these people got off committing such a crime against humanity.

I also had NO knowledge of world affairs at that point in my life - I didn't even watch the LOCAL news for that matter. However, I was really into World Music and Capoeira, preparing for a trip to Brazil a few months later. I was teaching computer classes at the local community college, riding my bike everywhere because I had recently sold my Infiniti QX4 to get out of debt, and that was my life at the time. I remember walking over to Union Bank on 4th and Laurel to watch their TVs so I could see a visual of the catastrophe. Upon seeing this, I attempted to fiddle with my TV which barely worked, just so I could follow the story, and the circumstances surrounding it to which I was oblivious.

somehow my mom convinced me to start going back to church... she said this radical event of 911 marked that the end times are coming, and I should prepare my heart before God. I kind of thought she was preaching, but a friend from Capoeira actually invited me to church around that same time. After all I was raised in the church, and had become complacent about my own beliefs and careless about my lifestyle. Also within that next year my mom convinced me to move back to Phoenix so i would not be in San Diego all alone without any family.

I have come a long way since Sept 11, 2001, and 6 years later now I fully understand what happened and why. the sad part is that most Americans still DO NOT, and buy into all sorts of anti-Government conspiracy theories which are simply not true (thus dividing our country even more in its ethics and values). It took me going over to the Middle East, learning their culture and language, and encountering these people first-hand to gain a clearer understanding of the reality we are faced with. They are not becoming any less of a threat, in fact, their brilliance combined with our ignorance is a hazard to humanity.

feel free to post your thoughts on the comments if you agree, or just take some time today to reflect on your life, and where you were on 911. We have a lot to be thankful for, and its easy to take our freedoms for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home