24 January 2007

life is research

As I have been completely engrossed in writing 3 research papers for the past week, I have disengaged from most forms of social interaction. During this process, I have formulated several of my own theories. The first being the notion that "life is research". Any aspect of human existence involves a series of learning, discovery, and understanding. This framework can certainly be applied to the knowledge of a particular topic or field, but can also encompass relative aspects of culture or interaction, thus contributing to an individual's own existential paradigm.

The second theory or contention which I have come to accept, is that the influences which shape one's paradigm are temporal and often intangible. As the semester is getting over, I am doing some "getting over" of my own. Last June during the World Cup in Berlin, I met someone who essentially changed my life. If you've known me for any length of time, you probably noticed a change in my outlook and overall perspective of the world, beginning with my trip to Germany. Of course spending time in the Middle East has also contributed to the shaping of my new outlook, but if I had to identify one single interaction which influenced my motivation to learn, it would be my relationship with this man. If I had not met him, I would not have even cared about the Israeli-Palestinan conflict, and certainly would not be as passionate as I am about it. Though I care about him deeply, I don't know if I will ever see him again (his phone is disconnected and he does not respond to email). But as a result of our interaction, I have set a course for completion of my second Master's Degree (Middle East Studies), an area which has also expanded my understanding of the world, and shaping of my global paradigm.

I am leaving for the US tomorrow, via a stopover in Munich. I hope the storms subside by then, its been pretty icy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home