09 March 2007

french trenches

The other day I overheard a few of my colleagues conversing in French - Josh speaking African French, and Alan speaking Canadian French (which some of my family members also speak). Both are quite knowledgeable historians, whom I admire and learn a lot from. Alan and I just had a conversation the day before about how most of World War I was fought in trenches, along the French borders. Thus rekindling my motivation to keep current with the 2007 French Presidential election race.

If you're a frequent reader of this blog, you're familiar with Nicolas Sarkozy. If not, its about time to get global. With the French election less than 2 months away and current President Jacques Chirac stepping down from the hot seat, Sarkozy is moving in. His competition, Segolene Royal (left) and recently announced Francois Bayrou (center), do not stand a chance against the right-winger's aggressive yet triumphal rise to the top. France's relationship with Syria (who is backed by Iran) brings the importance of this election even moreso into the global sphere.

One reason Im so interested in Sarkozy is because of his Jewish descent (as am I), and meaningful to me living here in Israel among the Jews. I first learned of him from AlJazeera, who claimed he is of Arab descent, thus initially sparking my interest. Technically the branch of Judaism his family hails from can be traced back into the Arab world, in my opinion coincidental to his strong support of Muslims and their building of mosques in France. As a self-proclaimed Roman Catholic, such moves throughout his political history have created controversy. But he is frequently in the spotlight as France's current Finance Minister, with a background in law and a strong stance on immigration. According to BBC, one reason he admires Tony Blair so much is because of "his ability to seduce the media". Sarkozy likewise has this ability, as his straight-talking is popular with many French voters, and his piercing eyes and youthful appearance lend to his success. One thing is for certain, Nicolas Sarkozy has what it takes to ensure a secure future for France, a country that has come a long way since World War I.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicolas Sarkozy is the AntiChrist

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home