01 March 2007

roots of culture

Living in another country is a truly unique experience, both humbling (with poor treatment being a foreigner) as well as culturally eye-opening. In general, I would consider myself as an American who has always had a deep appreciation for other cultures, and a more global perspective throughout my adult life. As an American living in a foreign country, I am enjoying the educational value of this experience (both in the cultural sense as well as the academic setting) but I embrace the American culture more than ever in this strange land.

Here at the university, I often find myself among a group of overseas students, mainly Americans, who are a part of an international undergraduate program (which is run quite well I might add). Their department organizes a number of group trips and campus events, one of which I was invited to last night, a reggae concert. I have always been a fan of reggae, attending numerous events in San Diego through my involvement in World Music Radio, the World Beat Center and other cultural organizations. The primary themes of the reggae genre are the "roots of culture", "zion", "babylon", and issues surrounding connection with a homeland, often in a spiritual sense. This concert was an Israeli Reggae group, so many of their songs were in Hebrew, but appropriate while singing about Zion (many Zionists here in Israel). Overall, hanging out among the overseas students is a wonderful outlet for English speakers, and makes me feel more at home while away from home.

After the concert, I spent some time with my good friend Alan - he is from Canada although Canada is really just an extension of the US. During a brisk evening walk, we put on hats for warmth, mine bearing an Arab nationalist statement, and his I did not notice until we arrived at my building. I exclaimed "you're wearing a RAIDERS hat!" He said "I don't know, its just a hat. Who or what are the Raiders?" Alan has a knack for repeatedly making my day. I proceeded to disseminate the nuances of American football, AFC vs NFC, and the Raiders-Chargers rivalry (to include riots and crazy Raider fans historically wreaking havoc in the Chargers' stadium). He likened this example to rivalries in the NHL (hockey) which I am also familiar with, though he knew little about American football. Longing for home, I called one of my best friends in the US, as it was her birthday. She said she would not be going to any Spring Training games this season (American Baseball, our NATIONAL pastime) because I am not there to share it with her, and it would not be the same without me. Hearing this I cried, and I realized that my life is not complete without being in AMERICA.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan Herman said...

I would like to emphatically stress that, as much as I enjoy repeatedly making Lisa's day, Canada is entirely separate an entity from the US, with a separate history, political system, set of social values, and fundamentally different international outlook. To the extent that we are "part of the US", I would say that the closest that this could be said to be true is that we are Greeks to the Romans. Regrettably, Rome still has alot to learn, which is why this Northern Greece shall have to remain, as it has always been, autonomous from our controversial neighbour. (to any and all reading this site - note the correct form of the spelling of "neighbour")

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home