23 February 2007

west bank wonders

not to discourage anyone by my last post, there are a lot of wonderful things to experience in the West Bank. Just like Jordan, but perhaps even more common, herds of sheep with a lone bedoin shepherd, walking alongside the highway. The West Bank is also a thriving agricultural region, where I was able to partake of some of the most excellent food I have ever eaten. In al-Quds, I had some of the best turkish coffee served out of one of the little coffee kettles they use to prepare the delicious beverage. Upon arrival in Ramallah, we walked around the suk (market) where i purchased giant fresh strawberries, amazing roasted salted pistacios, and a giant piece of whole wheat lafah bread, sooo tasty, and I dont really even eat bread. Before we left, Amir and I stopped at one of the best falafel/schwarma stands, where we got what I call burritos, full of falafel, hummus, and fresh vegetables. It feels like you are in another country, but then I was reminded of where I was when I had to use Israeli currency (the Sheqel) and I think I can use my Jordanian Dinars there too.

One thing that rather upsets me about the West Bank is the overwhelming presence of Israeli "settlements" or gated communities. While I am very much in support of the Jewish state (Isreal as a government-mandated homeland for jewish people), I am not a supporter of their beligerence toward the Palestinian people, who are also in need of land to live on. The West Bank was carved out as Palestinian territory (meaning: to be occupied by Palestinian people). WHERE ELSE ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO GO? I know enough people who have been forced into surrounding countries and on into Europe because they are not "allowed" to live in their homeland. I have traveled around Israel enough to see that the land of Israel IS big enough for all the Israelis, without them "taking over" the West Bank too. just let the Palestinians have the West Bank and Gaza... what's the big deal? Divide it and be done with it so people can live their lives.

ok, one last discouraging observation while in the West Bank (this should have been a part of the last blog entry). As we were driving into Jerusalem, we saw a painful sight on the side of the road. Im not talking about roadkill, but we are certainly dealing with lives lost, in a most unfortunate way. If you've ever been to Arizona or Southern California (areas of the US where I grew up), you are familiar with the "illegal immigrant" workers, (IE mexicans) who come up and try to get work, to make money to provide for their families. We have become used to the groups of workers, sitting by the roadside waiting to be picked up as day laborers. Well, here in the West Bank we saw a group of Palestinian men, sitting in a row along the curb of the road, who had been "captured" by the IDF. My friend Amir told me they were holding them there awaiting transportation to take them off to some Israeli prison. You know, if I tried to work illegally here in Israel, I may have been among that group. I totally sympathize with them and hate to see their lives devastated by being thrown in prison, where thousands of Palestinians are held without legitimate reason. Well I guess there are other ways for me to pay my tuition besides working illegally, I've yet to discover, as to not jeopardize my existence as these unfortunate men who may never see their families again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home