12 February 2007

amman jordan

We arrived to Amman Jordan yesterday, after about a 2 hour procedure at the Israel-Jordan border. They almost kicked me out (of israel i think) for taking pictures. Then when we finally passed over the border it was a whole different world. well not entirely, because I felt like I was in Brazil, as the area around the Jordan river was very tropical, and the general landscape and lifestyle reminded me of the south american paradise. As we drove further, it started to look and feel a lot like Mexico, though not in quite the same ways Israel does. I am very happy that our tour guide (a native jordanian who speaks very good english), the group's security guard, and my professor, have let me sit in the front of the bus. Not only have I been able to observe the scenery from a better vantage point, but that way I wont get sick as I often do when riding closer to the back. I am also grateful that the tour is conducted in English, but it gets a little bothersome when the professor or the department assistant break into Hebrew to make the announcements. I have faired well in the area of translation however, and feel comfortable enough with the "group" setting - as I do not historically fare well in groups.

Traveling through Jordan is an amazing opportunity. Not only am i absolutely fascinated with the Arab culture and language, I have the unique opportunity of "living" my research. You may remember an earlier blog entry entitled "life is research" in which I construct realistic theories regarding the nature of one's own experience. Well, during the past day and a half, we have visited a number of architectural ruins, one of which being a Umayyad mosque, and one the home of one of the caliphates with its frescoes well preserved... its "all about the ottoman" (see previous blog)! the other places were old/excavated Roman temples, of which mainly the columns remain, as well as Jerash, an ampitheatre and horse racing track. On our way out to the Qasr al Mushatta (the vip house) and Qusr Amre (with the frescoes and a guy playing a small, one-stringed violin-type instrument) we drove on the road to Iraq, not too far from there! We also went to an archaeological museum, which contained artifacts from as early as the stone age, bronze age, then through byzantine, islamic, and umayyad. There were many old coins which my dad would have enjoyed, as he collects coins. I managed to take a picture (a bit blurry) but the museum dude discovered I was taking pictures and I was afraid I was going to get kicked out of there too. I thought "what the hell" as it reminded me about the time I got kicked out of the empire state building and an art museum in New York for taking pictures... its the old "tourist or terrorist" dilemma again! JORDAN PICTURES ONLINE AT lisabirman.com/jordan.

Probably my favorite part of the trip so far has been our visit to downtown amman's suk, or shopping district. very similar to East Jerusalem's old city suk - but less controversial lol - the stores were actual storefronts, more like a regular downtown, and less of a makeshift market. But of course the Arab culture was more amazingly prominent than anywhere I'd ever been, and for this I know why I am so in LOVE with the Middle East. I was also reminded of the disheartening fact of valentine's day this week, but if I have to bear it alone for YET ANOTHER year, I would say I've embraced my true love. The culture, music, sights, sounds, smells, language, people, and embodiment of the most wonderful region of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home