12 April 2007

common israelis

Recently, I have had the opportunity to meet many wonderful new Israeli friends (to include "legal" Israeli Arabs), mostly outside of the university. Being that I'm quickly nearing completion of my program of study, the timing for meeting new friends couldn't be better (distractions are less of a problem at this point). In addition, I have been able to explore parts of the country with a new sense of freedom, without anything unnecessary weighing me down (eg "the tunnel"). This "out with the old, in with the new" energy has manifest itself in so many ways. As seen in recent posts, spending days at a time in Jerusalem has proven to be healthy for my body, mind, and spirit.

Today I spent the afternoon with a new friend. She is an Israeli graduate student, about my age, who works on campus. I wondered why I'd never met her before, though she had seen me once before under less positive circumstances. We went into town together today to take care of some things, and had a wonderful conversation. She had traveled around and lived in the US for a few years, among the cities she resided in was (America's Finest City) MY San Diego for 6 months! She knew many of the places in which I have lived and worked, and gave me a happy reminder of home.

The opportunity to live and study in Israel is such a wonderful experience. Culturally in many ways Israel is Western, but there is so much that is very different, that I "trip out" on! My friend and I walked into a store together (similar to a convenience store) so she could by cigarettes, but it contained only cigarettes, a variety of lottery tickets, and a wall full of liquor (as if they would serve you while making your ticket selection). After looking around the place, I commented to her "they have alcohol, cigarettes, and gambling"! She laughed, and understood my alarm at the common israeli "conveniences". Actual convenience stores (small corner stores) here are more like full grocery stores, but of course with fewer selections than the standard American supermarket. Spending even an hour in any Israeli city will provide an American with a broadened view of their culture... its not only about the conflicts between Jews and Arabs, but a very interesting place overall. I will continue to absorb all i can, and enjoy the wonderful unique opportunity that I have here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home