24 April 2007

independence

Today is Israel's Independence Day, with celebrations nationwide to commemorate the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948. Last night in Beer Sheva was a sight to behold - a ginormous street party with fireworks, live music, dancers and performers, numerous food stands, and a carnival-like atmosphere. Since I've lived here I have not imagined such an event could take place in our seedy little armpit of the Negev Desert. Yet anything is possible in the name of independence, and any place can become beautiful with the right perspective. What a wonderful time of celebration, seeing so many people gathering together in a positive family atmosphere.

Independence is an amazing phenomenon which is not fully experienced by everyone in the world, and unfortunately may never be. In addition to self-government and self-rule as often associated with independence of a country, independence can also be defined as "self-determination, sovereignty, autonomy, freedom, liberty, self-sufficiency, self-reliance, financial independence, comfort, and ease." As a single American woman who owns two businesses, one of my greatest strengths is my independence. Many people base their lives on some form of dependence, on another person, an employment system, an organization or affiliation, a home or vehicle, etc. However in order to achieve the amazing freedoms of life, it is not required that a person live in a free country such as America, or have a lot of "friends", a spouse, or even a good job. Freedom is a state of mind, and your life decisions are your own. Nobody can make you become something which you don't let them.

I was thinking about going to the beach in Tel Aviv today, to celebrate Israel's Independence Day. But I realized that I can go any another time when there are less crowds, because the beach will still be there, and I have the freedom in my life to do so. Having the day off from university is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate my own personal independence. I have so much to be thankful for as an American, and the amazing opportunity to travel freely and study abroad. In addition to celebrating my own independence and that of the nation of Israel, I am looking forward to returning to my home country in 2 months, just in time for OUR Independence Day, July 4.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home