29 May 2007

the salad bar

Today after acing my Arabic Final Exam, I decided to reward myself with a big salad at my favorite salad bar here on campus. As I sit here looking out the big windows out onto the grassy courtyard filled with students returning this week from their strike, I'm reflecting on the joys of life, and the many lessons learned while studying here in Israel. Before my exam I called my dad because I had just received a letter from him dated 27 February, with words of encouragement. "Please take care over there! We all love you and want you safely home. My prayers and God's Angels are with you." He then assured me that I would do well on my test because "I have the mind of Christ". I took his words with me in to my exam, and have carried them with me throughout my day.

Over the past few days, I have been running into people who have been positive energy in my life over the past 6 months. Sharing a few minutes with each of these people has strengthened me, and helped me to feel re-energized and excited not only about being here, but reminding me that I need to embrace each of my remaining minutes in Israel. 2 classes down, 3 to go, and a wonderful country to continue to explore, despite all of its inherent conflicts.

While the world may be coming to an end soon and war is eminent, the best thing we can do for ourselves is to love ourselves and others, nourish our bodies, minds and spirits in the best way we know how. For some a belief and trust in the all-powerful and ever-present Allah, God of the Universe, for others a belief in traditions or history, cultivates our awareness and openness to the world around us. Stand strong, be healthy, and embrace life, because we don't know how long we have left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home