26 October 2007

world on fire II

In a previous blog entry entitled world on fire, I discussed the fires which ravaged through southern Greece just after I had visited the country. Upon my arrival into the US I returned to San Diego, only to witness a similar national disaster here in America's Finest City - devastation on the level of Hurricane Katrina. For about the past 5 days, San Diego County has been ablaze, with more than 8 different fires burning in the region, destroying a number of homes and acres of property. I was supposed to be in New York last weekend and early this week, but a few friends talked me out of going... had I gone, I may have missed out on some of the action here! As I am just staying in San Diego temporarily, while I finished my research and to catch up with friends here, I'm glad I was here to witness this historic event.

During the San Diego Wildfires of 2003, approximately 50,000 people were evacuated, but this time the fires ravaged more of the county and more than 500,000 people were evacuated. In a previous blog entry entitled the left coast, I mentioned some of the inherent perils for a Godless society like what I've been subjected to here in San Diego. While I indeed have compassion for my friends (whatever lifestyle they choose) and even those people who I don't know personally that have lost their homes, I see an undeniable parallel between a society filled with sin and debauchery and the resulting wrath of God. My friend Lyle posted a blog likening this catastrophic event to an Old Testament style wake-up call. I forwarded his post and took all kinds of crap from people who I thought were my friends. However the inherent pitfalls of a liberal society lend to a masking of morality to the point which when mentioned drive people to criticism of sound judgement and Godly values.

A few weeks ago, San Diego's Republican Mayor Jerry Sanders reversed the laws against homosexuality and gay marriage, because he found out his daughter was a lesbian. About a week later, California's Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger passed a ruling to take the words Mom and Dad out of school curriculums in order to be more compassionate towards gay couples raising children. A local Christian University which I formerly taught at also practices acts of acceptance of gay "Christians" into their university, though the Bible strictly warns against it (yes I no longer work there due to conflicting realities). I am curious at what point such right-wingers have become so liberal, it seems to be a result of our ever-evolving societal self-destruction. So with my own conservative Christian ideology I vocalized the premise that the San Diego Wildfires (and in other parts of Southern California) erupting just a few days after Governor Schwartzenegger's ruling were a direct result of the region's embrace of homosexuality as the norm. In times of tragedy, people cry out to God - "where is God in all of this?" or "why would God allow such a disaster to occur?" If your city is burning down, you have to look at the big picture, just as in Greece. Blame it on the Santa Ana winds, God is an awesome God, and he wants the people's hearts to turn back to Him, Creator of the Universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home